StudyPortals is a fast-growing online platform where students can find and compare their education options internationally.
Our mission is to empower the world to choose education. We focus on quality from both a student as well as a university perspective: offering the best information for students, and low-effort, cost-effective, and result-based marketing for universities.
Over 2,450 universities participate across 67 countries, creating transparency across 117,000+ study programmes. We have a large global visitor base of over 19 million visits every year.
Our team now consists of over 100 people from 35 different nationalities, and we're expecting to grow the team to about 200 people in the upcoming year. StudyPortals proudly ranks 18th in the 2015 Employee satisfaction ranking, an annual survey carried out by SatisAction and the NRC. Our HQ is located in Eindhoven, in the iconic Klokgebouw, at Strijp-S, a hub of entrepreneurship, technology, and design. We also have operations in Boston, Melbourne, Manchester, Stockholm and Bucharest.Are you the DevOps Engineer we're looking for?
Your role will be to provide our scrum teams with the infrastructure and tooling they need to take full responsibility for their products. In our informal, entrepreneurial, international and flexible atmosphere, taking initiative is always appreciated. Your personal input on how to best structure our processes and infrastructure, as well as your ideas on how to further scale, will be valued and encouraged. You'll have the opportunity to grow with the company while helping us revolutionize the worldwide study-choice market.
Virtually all of the technology powering our platform has been developed in-house over the course of the past eight years. All our systems are housed on Amazon Web Services. Our current server-stack is based on Apache/PHP running on Windows Server, but we're hard at work migrating our entire stack over into a NGINX/PHP and CentOS combination running in Docker containers. Our primary database is MySQL, currently powered by AWS Aurora; our sources are hosted on GitHub; most of our existing tooling is written in Gulp (with some older parts in PowerShell). As part of our push towards more industry-standard tooling, we’re now actively using several package managers (NPM, Composer & Bower) for dependency management.
Previous experience as a DevOps engineer is definitely a plus, but if you’re an ambitious all-rounder ready to develop into a DevOps engineer, please don’t hesitate to apply!How we'd like you to help us:
What we'd like to see in the candidate:
- Professionalize and build out our infrastructure on AWS, including taking ownership of our ongoing transition towards a continuously integrated and continuously delivered workflow
- Assist our scrum teams (five teams, each consisting of five engineers) in optimizing their tooling and increase the efficiency of their day-to-day work
- Assist our QA engineer by providing the infrastructure required for automated/continuous testing and by better integrating our existing monitoring solutions (e.g. CloudWatch, Papertrail, Librato) into the scrum team’s daily workflow
- Assist our data engineer in building a large-scale data-pipeline (consisting of Snowplow, Kinesis, RedShift) and help open this data up for use within the whole of StudyPortals
Compensation and perks
- You have one to three years of work experience and at least a bachelor’s degree (preferably in computer science or a related discipline; fresh graduates also welcome if you can convince us of your professional maturity).
- You have the ability to use a wide variety of (open-source) technologies and tools.
- You are able to select, deploy and maintain the tools required to optimize our development processes.
- You're able to code and script.
- You're experienced with systems and IT operations.
- You're comfortable with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment cycles.
- With your strong grasp of automation tools, you understand what and when to automate and are able to make objective cost/benefit assessments of your proposed automations.
- Driven to improve both yourself and your work, you like to be at the cutting edge of the technologies you work with.
- You're comfortable with collaboration, open communication, and reaching across functional borders.
- You're an excellent communicator in fluent spoken and written English.
- Ambitious, energetic and entrepreneurial, you work well independently but are also fun to work with in a team.
- You'll get a competitive salary including a bonus scheme.
- We offer employee referral bonuses and an annual personal development budget, because personal growth is key!
- We'll reimburse your work-related travel costs.
- We offer an attractive collective insurance package with IAK, covering public and private insurances from healthcare and home insurance to car and liability insurances!
- Our office is in the center of Eindhoven (Strijp-S), five minutes from the central station.
- You'll get other interesting extras such as a laptop of your choice.