- Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Department: Ground Segment
- Type: Full Time
- Min. Experience: Experienced
As the largest commercial investment aboard the International Space Station (ISS), UrtheCast works in partnership with leading space organizations in developing the world's first interactive, near realtime platform of Earth — with imagery and Ultra HD video streamed from space in full color.
With two additional sensors slated for launch to the ISS in 2016, UrtheCast's growing suite of cameras will allow for the development of an increasingly powerful web platform. Developed by UrtheCast crew, the UrtheCast platform will provide the world with access to dynamic, high-resolution video of Earth, for purposes ranging from environmental monitoring to broadcasting. From humanitarian relief agencies, to agriculturalists and media broadcasters, UrtheCast continues to partner with leading international organizations — corporate, governmental, and non-profit.
The DevOps Engineer will be helping to build our unique platform with our small, but growing tech-savvy team. We run mostly on AWS and have fully-automated push-button deployment to production. You will be part of the backbone of our platform’s integrity, ensuring that our customers and developers have fast and reliable experiences.
- Work closely with operations, Ground Segment, Web, and corporate teams to build, deploy, maintain, and monitor UrtheCast cloud infrastructure on AWS
- Infrastructure design, architecture, requirements, constraints and development as a part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Develop and maintain dashboards and reports for logging and performance metrics
- Participate in security and compliance audits of our infrastructure, and prepare briefings on such topics
- Research technology and development trends, especially in cloud, virtualization, storage, and continuous integration
- Work with Team Lead and product line managers to execute strategy and deployments of products to consumers
- Develop technologies for deployments, continuous integration, and source code management
- Manage on-call ops shifts for maintaining corporate SLAs and contractual obligations
- Help define KPIs, BAM, and inputs to BI reporting for the infrastructure
- Develop and enhance development, staging, and production deployment strategy and documentation
- Promote best practices for SCM, CI, and Agile processes
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Science in a related field is a bonus
- 4 - 8 years experience, and a proven track record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience working in a fully cloud-based environment and experience with AWS is a must
- Experience architecting infrastructure solutions in a cloud environment
- Solid Chef experience
- 2 years of build engineering experience (especially with Jenkins or Hudson)
- Strong Linux administration skills, including shell scripting, vi editor
- Good understanding of service-oriented architecture and associated components: services, databases, caches, queues, proxies, load balancers and more
- 3 year experience scaling high traffic LAMP systems with Apache or Nginx
- Expert knowledge of network architecture, and scalability
- Experience with CopperEgg, PagerDuty, CloudWatch, Zabbix, Monit, logstash, Nagios, or other monitoring tools
- Solid GIT knowledge
- Experience creating and maintaining SSL certificates
- Hands on experience with build/deployment tools (Chef, Puppet, Jenkins etc)
- Experience using AWS's APIs (RDS, CloudSearch, CloudFront, S3, EC2, SQS, SES, EMR, IAM, ELB, Route53, ElastiCache, etc)
- Experience with MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Reasonable programming chops in a modern language e.g., Ruby, Python, Java, PHP, Node JS, etc.
- MongoDB, Redis, or similar Nosql experience a plus
- Experience with virtualization or container technologies like Vagrant, and Docker
- Managing an Enterprise Service Bus, such as MuleSoft ESB or similar is a plus
- Contributions to the open source community
- Prior experience in a start-up environment
- May be required to work extended hours to meet tight deadlines.
- On-call may be required
What can we offer you?
- Competitive compensation, full benefits and flexible time off
- Great work environment, team and office location right downtown!
- Great lunch programs will provide you with an opportunity to learn and socialize, and our Friday afternoons will set the right mood for the weekend!
- Gym membership
- Fully loaded kitchen!
We are an innovative organization and pride ourselves on a culture that embodies self-initiative, excellence, openness and collaboration, passion, and results-orientation. The work environment is characterized as fast-paced, lots of volume and ambiguity as we are growing and need processes to be put in place.