As a Principal Operations Engineer/Tech Lead you will play a pivotal role in our Bet tribe. Leading a multi-disciplinary squad of highly skilled individuals with a mission to deliver the best experience to customers, you'll specifically focus on providing tooling, support and expertise around the shared systems that the whole Bet product relies on.
What you will do
Working in our Framework squad this serves as the backbone for the skybet.com website, ensuring that the systems are reliable, maintained and running smoothly. Alongside this you will also be driving large scale changes to keep our ever evolving tech stack up-to-date with modern technologies and patterns.
This is a hands-on role, allowing you to embed best practices and drive the technical vision for your team to build on. As a senior member of the tribe, you will interact with other Tech Leads, Product Managers, Engineering Managers and Architects to help define and implement the overall technical strategy for skybet.com.
How you will do it
- Be the technical authority for your squad, owning the implementation of all aspects of your services
- Lead the agile practices within the squad, creating a motivated and self-sufficient team
- Create a vision for your squad, aligned with the wider business, which you clearly communicate to your team members
- Use your technical expertise in collaboration with colleagues in Product, Commercial and Marketing to identify opportunities in increasing performance, productivity and stability across the website
- Work with the Product Owner to create a roadmap, prioritizing the work which delivers the best value for the tribe and ultimately the customer
- Work with the Engineering Manager to hire the best people to help achieve your vision
- Analyse the squads performance and effectiveness of your work and the impact it has for customers
- Lead the inception of new work, clearly communicating the benefits for customers and the business to gain shared understanding with your team
- Own the operational readiness of services owned by your squad, reviewing quality of service and non-functional requirements to ensure systems are fit for purpose
How we work
- Our engineers often work closely with colleagues from all disciplines and all levels of experience so a high level of interpersonal skill is important to us
- Data features heavily and we always look to use the right storage pattern to meet the requirements of individual use cases. You should appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches when compared to traditional relational databases
- We expect candidates to be comfortable working in a Linux environment
- We value previous experience developing for high-demand and high-availability environments
- We encourage continuous personal development and offer ‘10% time’ for personal R&D as well as access to Safari Books Online, Pluralsight and a wide range of internal training courses and workshops
We also offer an attractive relocation package for candidates that live outside the Yorkshire region, including those outside the UK.