As the Engineering Manager you will play a pivotal part in building the future of Sky Betting and Gaming. With a start-up mentality and approach, Nexus is a true greenfield programme using cutting edge technologies, including Kotlin, Kubernetes, Spring Boot and Kafka.
We encourage tech diversity, our tribe is comprised of engineers from many different tech backgrounds and we encourage a polyglot mentality & approach. In control of our own destiny, we are shaping our future provision to the million customers we see every week and driving innovation within the betting industry. Collaboration, team work, creativity, technical expertise and high quality are synonymous with the Nexus tribe. Be a part of this unique and exciting challenge!
What you will do
The Engineering Manager is responsible for a group of software engineers of various experience levels and will usually have up to 10 direct reports. You are responsible for both people management for the team, and the way we deliver against our business goals from an in-house software engineering perspective. You should be a confident technical leader with experience in an evolving and dynamic web-scale environment under an agile DevOps ethos where operational performance is a significant part of engineering best practice. The role reports into a Head of Engineering alongside other Engineering Managers and Test Managers.
How you will do it
- Engineering People Management
- Run a strong team of top-notch highly motivated software engineers at all levels, manage skills gaps and reduce key man dependencies.
- Develop & motivate those in your team by providing clear direction, opportunities for learning & direct coaching. Pro-actively manage any individual performance challenges.
- Define and maintain the best team structures (aligned to a culture of “small autonomous agile teams”) to match the current focus of our Tribe. Work with the Tech Leads to ensure that we have the right mix of skills in each squad.
- Foster a Sustainable & Scalable Engineering culture
- Evangelise & prioritise engineering best practice in your squads so we have a clear direction for continuous improvement.
- Take responsibility for managing the levels of technical debt, evolving coding practices and aging code risks. Input into framework & language choice, development build and deployment tooling.
- Be responsible for adherence to the Tribe’s technology principles and SDLC in the context of our wider compliance requirements. Make sure we do this in a way that maintains our low-bureaucracy high-trust working environment.
- Champion Quality and Continuous Improvement
- Work with Tech Leads, Test Managers and other stakeholders to ensure we deliver high quality engineering solutions with the right balance between delivery speed vs operational risk
- With the Ops Manager, design and implement relevant support processes for the team's services.
- Provide technical expertise in incident management, root cause analysis, post incident decisions and oversee that any remedial work is carried out.
- Constantly make our engineering better: the skills and expertise of the team, improving delivery predictability and speed, operational awareness and responsibility.
- Highlight engineering risks and improvement benefits widely around the business to gain traction on making those improvements happen.
- Work with the wider tribe leadership to plan and manage deliveries and report against progress toward our vision and objectives.
Skills & Experience
- Experience of leading engineering teams in an evolving and dynamic environment, ideally in a web-scale industry where software is always-on, and customer experience is always more than a consideration
- A committed team player who demonstrates exceptional communication, interpersonal skills and consistent high energy levels, who recognises the importance of people in technology solutions.
- An experienced leader with a reputation for thought leadership, strategic thinking and with a strong technical background.
- An analytic problem solver with a strong sense of autonomy, but with an open collaborative approach to getting the job done.
We also offer an attractive relocation package for candidates that live outside the Yorkshire region, including those outside the UK.